wall calendar with the words payday written in pink and circled

If you have had the same, unpaid caregiver – a spouse, relative, or devoted friend – for twenty-two years, like I have, you can’t help but feel guilt-ridden about 80% of the time. The other 20%, you are a team, working together, celebrating the small victories. But, day to day, there is so much done on your behalf by this person that you don’t think about. And when you do, you feel like crap.

There is an imbalance here that has to be mitigated in some way so you don’t foment resentment on your caregiver’s part or foment guilt or self-pity on your own. Writing in his definitive tone about the neuroimmune disorder, transverse myelitis, the genesis of my own paralysis, Transverse Myelitis Association President Sandy Siegel observed about the effects of TM: “TM complicates a good marriage. TM is going to obliterate a bad marriage.”

Read more on the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation.

This is an external article from our library

Everyone is talking about caregiving, but it can still be difficult to find meaningful information and real stories that go deep. We read (and listen to and watch and look at) the best content about caregiving and bring you a curated selection.

Have a great story about care work? Use our contact form to submit it to us so we can share it with the community!

Related Articles

The Cruelest Marriage Penalty

The Cruelest Marriage Penalty

There’s a lot of talk about different kinds of marriage penalties in the tax code (when being legally married puts you at a disadvantage relative to...



When Carolita Johnson became a live-in caretaker for her 87-year-old mother, reimagining this new life as a multi-year writing residency helped her...

Popular categories

After Caregiving
Finding Meaning
Finding Support

Don't see what you're looking for? Search the library

Share your thoughts


Share your thoughts and experiences

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Join our communities

Whenever you want to talk, there’s always someone up in one of our Facebook communities.

These private Facebook groups are a space for support and encouragement — or getting it off your chest.

Join our newsletter

Thoughts on care work from Cori, our director, that hit your inbox each Monday morning (more-or-less).

There are no grand solutions, but there are countless little ways to make our lives better.

Share your insights

Caregivers have wisdom and experience to share. Researchers, product developers, and members of the media are eager to understand the nature of care work and make a difference.

We have a group specifically to connect you so we can bring about change.